Wednesday, February 17, 2010

silks from India

Have finally gotten around to trimming off the corners then washing and folding lots of silk that my wonderful mother brought back from a recent trip to India and gave me for Christmas.

Since I have so many variations of similar colours I thought making a pieced quilt out of small hand cut strips and squares starting from one colour and going out from dark to light before merging to another colour might work well. The silks are quite fine so will probably need a little starch if not some sort of stabiliser before piecing. I don't really want to back them with anything else as it seems to take some of the point of making a silk quilt away.

Would love to hear other ideas people have for these fabrics. They certainly aren't ones I can just go out and buy again so there's a certain amount of trepidation when it comes to cutting into them. All pieces vary between about 25cm and 75cm in width.

Still have to wash the blues and greens. I wouldn't have thought it would take so long to do all the trimming and folding. Have lots of frayed threads from the edges I will try on the needle felting machine too!

2 comments:

  1. Neroli, I'd be in textiley heaven with these! You could tear a 1cm strip off each piece and you'd have lovely textured ribbons to sew back on in swirly freeform shapes; use hand stitching to accentuate the silks; use with embellisher machine to create more texture. Or ... I would be happy just rolling in them all! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm certainly in textile heaven, though a little scared to cut them up! Even if I could usually afford silk i don't think i've ever seen so many shades of each colour. So really want to make sure that whatever I do with them is worth it! like the idea of ripping ribbons and sewing them down. The sheen could be quite nice with that too.

    ReplyDelete